TMJ disorder is a condition that affects the jaw joints and surrounding tissues and ligaments. This disorder is caused by trauma, an improper bite, arthritis, wear and tear, and more. The TMJ disorder is diagnosed during a regular dental check-up. During the analysis, the TMJ specialist in Albuquerque will,
- Check the range of motions when you are opening or closing your mouth.
- Apply a slight pressure on the face and jaw to identify the areas of discomfort.
- Feel around the jaw when you open and close the mouth.
If the TMJ is confirmed, the following techniques are used to determine the extent of the damage.
- Panoramic X-rays
- 3-D scans to take the images of teeth, jaws, facial bones, sinuses, and more
- MRI scans to view soft tissues in and around the jaw.