Follow the given tips to manage the symptoms of TMJ before visiting a TMJ specialist in Albuquerque.
- Take in soft foods and avoid hard foods that require biting using the front teeth.
- Avoid chewing gums.
- Don’t open your mouth more than one or two inches.
- Use both sides of your mouth to chew food.
- Apply heat pads against the jaw three to four times per day for five to ten minutes.
- If the pain is not intense, use a cold compress to reduce the pain and inflammation.
- Use a rotation motion to massage the sore joint, and then open the mouth and hold for a few seconds. Repeat this exercise throughout the day to manage pain.