Welcome back to the blog here at Dr. W. Gregory Rose, where we give you all the info you need to keep your teeth pearly white and healthy. Today we want to give you some tips on how to keep your breath as fresh as possible. There are tons of causes for bad breath, from cavities, gum disease, sickness, poor oral hygiene amongst many others. Some of these you can address yourself at home! Here are nine ways to keep your breath fresh!
- Drink water! Loads of it.
- Brush after every meal and floss preferably twice a day (of course!)
- Change out your tooth brush regularly, roughly every 2 to 3 months.
- Chew sugar free gum with xylitol, which may help with preventing cavities.
- Chow down on apples or other crunchy, healthy foods. The texture helps clean teeth. Apples also contain pectin, a compound that controls food odors.
- Clean your tongue. I know that sounds a bit strange, but bacteria doesn’t just stick to teeth! When you use a scraper or tooth brush on your tongue, you’re removing that bacteria and its bad smelling byproducts.
- Eat them veggies. Vegetables build an alkaline environment which balances out acid (a source of bad breath.)
- Don’t smoke. Aside from all the other myriad health reasons, nicotine causes the blood vessels in your mouth to tighten and not produce a healthy flow of saliva, creating an environment for bad breath to flourish.
- And of course, of course, visit your dentist regularly. If the bad breath isn’t going anywhere despite all you’ve tried it very well could be something more serious.
Those are just a handful of things you can do to ensure fresh breath, ranging from diet and lifestyle changes to an extra little bit of work in your hygiene routine. Put those to work, and we’ll see you next time on the blog.